The aim of this
course is to introduce the student to the behaviour and psychology of the
domestic dog. It is designed to equip participants with a basic knowledge of
normal and unusual behaviours, their purposes and what they can tell us about
- Ways of Explaining Canine Behaviour. This module examines how behaviours come about, how much of it is instinct and how much is learned. It also shows how to reference books and articles in your written work.
- Mating Behaviour and Birth. Understanding sexual maturity and behaviour that leads to courtship rituals and mating are covered in this module. The bitch in whelp, birth and associated behaviours are also discussed.
- The Psychology of the Young Dog. Not only will this module discuss what the new born pup can and cannot do, it will follow the development of early behaviour and the importance of early learning including exploration and play.
- The Psychology of the Adult Dog. This module looks at the continued development of the dog into adulthood and some of the ‘hurdles" along the way, how he might respond and how early learning might affect adult behaviour.
- Unusual Canine Behaviour. The difference between unusual and abnormal behaviour is examined and possible causes are discussed.
- Avoiding Problem Behaviour. The thinking behind this module is to equip students with the ability to provide their dogs with the required social environment to avoid common problem behaviours developing. Prevention is always better than cure.
All of our canine related courses support the Kennel Club Accreditation Scheme for Instructors in Dog Training and Canine Behaviour.
Study Level 3The study Level relates to the how demanding the course is. 1 is beginner and 5 is HND / Foundation Degree level.
6 Module CourseThis course is delivered in 6 study modules which need to be passed to gain the qualification.
- All Compass Education Ltd courses
- are written by industry experts and provided exclusively in the UK by Compass,
- they are not available anywhere else. Courses are unique to Compass and
- accredited by Ofqual regulated Awarding Bodies and/or Industry Professional
- Bodies as indicated in each course description. In common with the overwhelming
- majority of private educational provision in this sector they are not a part of
- the RQF or SCQF and they do not appear on Ofqual's register of qualifications.
Information coming soon.
No reviews were found.