This course has been designed with the new dog owner in mind; it will also prove very useful for kennel maids and those working in the animal care industry. Additionally it will serve as a useful introduction to those students considering a career requiring the knowledge of canine behaviour.
1. The Early Days
- Preparing to own a dog
- Choosing a dog
- Puppy Tips
- Dog Toys
- Basic training
- Toilet training
- Vaccination and the diseases they prevent.
- The importance of worming programmes - a brief introduction to round and tapeworms
- Keeping your dog flea free - the flea life cycle you need to break
- Feeding the puppy and adult dog
- Keeping the dog clean and tidy
2. Continued Health
- Health care, what to look for to check your dog is healthy or not
- Common disorders
- Nutritional disorders
- Other parasites you should be aware of
- Grooming equipment for specific coat types
- Basic First Aid
- Putting together a simple first aid kit
- The elderly dog, extra care and feeding
- Holidays: kennels/pet sitters
3. The Dog as a Social Animal
- The dog as a pack animal
- Introduction to the dog's lupine ancestry
- Puppy behaviour
- The bitch's intervention with her puppies
- The adult dog - comparing the sexes and neutered and unneutered dogs and bitches
- Mating and giving birth
- The early days after birth
- Problems of puppies from puppy farms
- How upbringing affects a dog's future behaviour
- Why dogs behave like dogs
- The dog's place in your home
- Problem dog - the dog thinks he/she has an assertive personality (Alpha in text)
Study Level 2The study Level relates to the how demanding the course is. 1 is beginner and 5 is HND / Foundation Degree level.
4 Module CourseThis course is delivered in 4 study modules which need to be passed to gain the qualification.
All Compass Education Ltd coursesare written by industry experts and provided exclusively in the UK by Compass,they are not available anywhere else. Courses are unique to Compass andaccredited by Ofqual regulated Awarding Bodies and/or Industry ProfessionalBodies as indicated in each course description. In common with the overwhelmingmajority of private educational provision in this sector they are not a part ofthe RQF or SCQF and they do not appear on Ofqual's register of qualifications.
No reviews were found.